Your modem should obtain its configuration when connected to an active network. If auto-configuration has completed, your Wifi password will be your account number (12 digit number that was first sent in your Welcome email). If you have reset the modem, the Wifi password will vary for different models, and you will also need to configure it manually.
Auto-configuration doesn't always occur due to several reasons, so you might need to configure your modem manually.
If you do need to configure your modem, please find your PPP username and password from the VMedia DSL installation email that was sent to you. These will be the most important information to configure your modem. If you cannot find that email, please contact us.
Please ensure that you do not confuse the username and password that were in your Welcome email, that are to login into the VMedia website, and the PPP username and password that are given in the DSL installation email.
Please also find the necessary modem configuration manual from the DSL FAQ section of our website. For Kasda and SmartRG modems, as they usually have very similar interfaces for their different models, even if your model number is different, the provided documents should help you. Note that the document to setup the Wifi, which might also be required, will be a different document also found in our FAQ.
- Identify the phone jack that was activated during your installation. The technician that came for your installation should have indicated which one it is.
If you're not sure which jack is activated because you have DSL 6 and no technician was required for the installation, or the technician completed his installation from outside your premises, more details will be given in Step 5 about identifying the correct jack.
- If you are using both VMedia internet and Bell/Telus home phone services, the phone jack will be one of the phone jacks that you use for your phone service. You will need to plug a phone/DSL splitter in your phone jack, to allow you to plug both the modem and the phone to the splitter. The splitter should be provided with your Vmedia modem. If this is a second-hand modem, and you did not get the DSL splitter with your modem, you will need to procure yourself one.
If you don't have a traditional home phone line, or have a VoIP phone service (like the one from VMedia), you will not need a DSL splitter.
- Plug your modem to the power.
- Connect the modem to the phone jack using a phone cord (RJ11 cable).
- If it is the correct phone jack, the DSL/connectivity light on your modem should turn on and become solid after 1-5 min.
If you have DSL 6, and/or no technician was present for your activation, please try the phone jacks that you have, until the light becomes solid in one of the jacks. In case you have tried all the jacks you know of, and none of them make the DSL/connectivity light on your modem stay solid, please try the next day, as it may not be active yet. If it still doesn't turn solid when plugged to any jack the next day, please contact our technical support.
- Once the DSL/connectivity light is solid on your modem, connect a computer to it by ethernet.
You can also connect the same device or a different one by Wifi if your modem is a modem/router, but that may complicate things for you, and you might have to reconnect several times if you modify your Wifi name and password during the configuration.
- Follow the configuration document given in our FAQ.
The inet/internet/authentification light on your modem should turn on. Please see your modem manual to see what is the correct colour for that light, that will indicate that authentication process has completed.
If this light is off, blinking rapidly, or solid but with the wrong colour (usually red), then one of the information you have entered during the configuration might be wrong. Please reread the configuration document to try to configure your modem once more.
If you have successfully completed the setup, both the DSL/connectivity light and the inet/internet/authentication light should both be on, solid, and the right colour (the authentication light tends to slightly blink from time to time, that is normal).
You will also need to configure the Wifi. Please follow the related document in our DSL FAQ.
If you cannot find the necessary configuration document, or cannot configure your modem for any other reason, please contact our technical support
to assist you.